9.26.2011

10 Day you Challenge: 8 Fears

Eight Fears


Hm...I don't like this one. I struggle with anxiety/worry. I was always prone to being a bit nervous about things i.e. heights. But in my old age I have been getting increasingly anxious.

I am battling this with Pray and the help of the Holy Spirit.

Let me explain.
I am a thinker. I ponder. I run things over and over and over again in my mind. And I have an over active imagination. All of this leads me to think about, dwell on and invent ridiculous situations. Combined that with the fact that I need to work on trusting the Lord with all things makes for one anxious lady.

And yes I do know that God is sovereign over all things. I know that He has a plan for my life and everyone around me. And yet, I so often forget/don't want to believe it. Over the last six months I have really identified this sin in my life and have been trying to release my grip on my life  so that I can trust the Lord in all things.

One thing that God has used to transform my thinking is memorizing scripture about worry and anxiety. Right now I am in the middle of memorizing Luke 12:22-31

"And he said to his disciples, "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds! And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest? Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried. For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you."

Wow, did you get that? Christ was instructing his disciples that in the face of persecution, starvation, no earthly possessions, and even death that they are not to be anxious about it and instead, seek His kingdom. Wow, I have been focusing on the wrong things.

So with that being said and my hope and trust with the Lord I will attempt to identify 8 fears.

1) Snakes
Eeew. Everything about these things creeps me out. Yes, I'm like Indian Jones :)

2)Heights
I.do.not.like.heights. Never have, never will.

3)Boats
Yes, this one is thanks to Titanic. I saw Titanic when I was young and I still dream about it! My hubby has never seen it and has asked me to watch it with him....um...no, sorry!

4)Tornado's
Did I mention that I live in California? Earthquakes don't scare me, but every time a storm starts I get scared a tornado is coming. Don't ask.

5)Upside down roller coasters.
Wooden roller coasters are just fine. But I don't trust the upside down ones.

6)Airplanes
I used to fly all the time as a kid and I didn't care. But know I have to pray the entire flight. It might have something to do with the fact that I cannot understand how a multi ton metal thing can stay flying??

7)That I will be a bad mother.
Yup. I'm terrified of that.

8) That God will call us to live far away from our family forever.

See, I'm really working on trust. Hope this encourages someone. God does take care of us. We just need to trust and meditate on His word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! If this is your first time here then let me know! I love comments and I always love hearing from my readers. If you would like to contact me via email my email is jamibalmet(at)hotmail(.)com.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails