Homemaker's Tutorial: Coupon Orgainzer

I started this month off with a bang and was posting all the time. But life has gotten very busy in the middle of the semester so once again I am posting infrequently. But. Back to
The Homemaker's Month of Helpful How To's

Today I have an awesome tutorial to share with you!!!

It's an adorable coupon organizer.
I got the original idea HERE and then made a few little changes of my own.

This tutorial and organizer would be a perfect companion to your homermaker's handbook!
See my tutorials on how to make a homemaker's Handbook HERE.
{I made my coupon organizer match my handbook}

If you follow her tutorial then you will end up with an adorable and functional coupon organizer!!

I on the other hand wanted to make things more complicated for myself.
Here it my version.

I wanted to make my organizor bigger so that I could add 8 1/2" by 11" baseball card inserts to store all my coupons. I don't know about you but I have WAAY too many coupons to fit in a pocket :)

{Please keep in mind this in only my second sewing project I have ever completed!! And the first one was in a sewing class! lol}

Go to 2 Little Hooligans tutorial HERE and follow her amazing step by step directions on how to make this adorable coupon organizer.  

Here are the things I changed. Go to her tutorial and follow along.

For the main color of fabric which is the red and black flowers. I changed the following:
1. Hooligans used: 14" x 8 1/2" *I Used: 241/2" x 13 1/2" (inside of organizer)
2. Hooligans used: 13" x 8 1/2"   *I Used: 23" x 13 1/2" (outside of organizer)
3. Hooligans used: 9" x 8 1/2"  *I Used: 19 x 13 1/2" (inside pocket)

For the Second color which is the black swirls I changed:
1. Four pieces of fabric at 4 1/2" x 8 1/2" (zippered pouch) {I used the same as I had only baught a 7" zipper.
2. Hooligans used: 21" x 2 1/2"   *I Used: About 30" x 2 1/2" (elastic closure)
3. Hooligans used: 6 1/2" x 12"  *I Used: 22" 13 1/2" (pocket for pad and pen)

I then followed her directions the same and just used my larger pieces. When I got to the end where all the pieces are sewn toether I attached my other pieces.

After the two largest pieces are sewn together and an opening was left in the top to pull the pieces right side out I did a couple things.

1. I took a three ring binder and cut it apart so all I was left with was the three ring metal pieces. I covered this in fabric.

Then in the opening left in the top of the organizer I insirted the three ring metal piece into the center and sewed up and down it into place.

2. After these pieces had been sewed in I had every intention of following the tutorial and just sew it up but because it is so large it was too floppy. So I took the two cardboard pieces I had cut out of original normal binder and inserted them into the sides.
Then I sewed it up like normal.

3. With my new snazzy three ring piece in place I can add pieces of paper or baseball card inserts that I plan on putting in to organize all my coupons. For now I have these dividers in place.

It matches my Homermaker's Handbook! Love it!!
Fidn my handbook tutorial HERE

So I totally made this up as I went along and some things could probably have turned out better.

So if you have any sort of version of this please please please let me know! Share a link, picture, or just some tips.

Thanks :)


  1. Thanks so much for sharing this! I'm still just a beginner when it comes to sewing, but I might try this :-)

  2. I love this post! I have just started clipping and printing coupons recently and have been trying to figure out a way to get them organized. This idea is perfect! I may have to try gluing fabric to an existing binder rather than sewing though but I can probably hand sew the little cord that goes around the binder.

  3. Loved this idea, so so cute!!


Thanks for visiting my blog! If this is your first time here then let me know! I love comments and I always love hearing from my readers. If you would like to contact me via email my email is jamibalmet(at)hotmail(.)com.


Related Posts with Thumbnails